This event is full, full, full! Please join us on another fun upcoming program.
Join us for a guided walking tour of one of this area’s most outstanding natural areas. The Wildflower Glen is a classic climax or old-growth forest, with dramatic topography and a remarkably rich diversity of herbaceous and woody plant species. Mary Stauble a Catawba Lands Conservancy Volunteer and botanist, will lead a 1.5 hour walk through the constructed trails of this area’s richest woodland wildflower habitat. Many of the flowers are spring bloomers so their time is past, but fall offers the beauty of changing seasons and the many trees species found there. The 20-acre preserve, owned by the Catawba Lands Conservancy, is located near Mountain Island Lake in northwestern Mecklenburg County. The site is open only by permission of the CLC. This event is limited to 20 participants. Please register early! Trekkers, Trailblazers, Greenway Gals, Catawba Corps, Catawba Society, and NC Native Plant Society are invited to join us and bring a guest.
- Friday, October 21
- 10:00 am: Meet at the Catawba Wildflower Glen property (address will be sent upon registration for this program).
- Charlotte, NC
- Enjoy a nature walk through this beautiful preserve.
- 11:30 am: Finish walk
Requirements and Recommendations
- You must be a member of NC Native Plant Society, Catawba Corps, Catawba Society, Trekker and Trailblazer Trailheads, Greenway Gals, or a board member of Carolina Thread Trail or Catawba Lands Conservancy to register.
- Each member may bring one guest.
- All participants must be at least 10 years of age, however experience and enthusiasm about nature is more important than age.
- You must carry your own water and snacks.
- Within the wildflower glen, there is no access to water or facilities until we end the hike.
- Wear hiking boots, trail runners or gym shoes.
- Wear breathable clothes and pack a rain coat if there is a chance of rainfall.
Not sure what appropriate clothing or footwear to wear for a hike? Visit Jesse Brown’s Outdoors, Founding Corporate Partner of Trailheads, for advice!
What will be Provided
- Guide and staff to lead a plant walk throughout the Catawba Wildflower Glen
- Field Guides to borrow during the walk.
Questions? Email Program Coordinator Mary Ann at email@example.com or call 704-342-3330X221.