Join Our Team!
See our current openings below.
Catawba Lands Conservancy (CLC) is a nonprofit, community-based conservation organization that permanently conserves and manages land for public benefit in the Southern Piedmont of North Carolina. We are dedicated to saving land and connecting lives to nature.
CLC permanently conserves over 190 properties, totaling nearly 17,000 acres of land. That land includes farmland, ecologically rich lands to protect wildlife habitat and local drinking water, and land to provide the public with a direct connection to explore the natural world around them.
CLC is also the lead agency for the Carolina Thread Trail. The Thread Trail is a 15-county, two-state initiative designed to inspire and facilitate the creation and development of a regional network of trails, blueways and conservation corridors that will link more than 2.3 million citizens. Today, over 250 miles of trail and 90 miles of blueway are open to the public.
The Finance Director is a strategic partner, and reports to the Executive Director (ED). The successful candidate will be someone with the ability to operate at both a tactical and strategic level, advising the ED and Boards of Directors at a high level while also doing the hands-on work in the areas of finance, business planning and budgeting, human resources, risk management and insurance and administration of the business functions of the office to ensure that CLC and CTT are able to achieve their missions and build capacity for growth.
- Analyze and present financial reports on a quarterly basis for the Executive Director, the Boards and the Finance Committees.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the ED; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process and preparation of the form 990.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the Boards of Directors and Finance Committees by preparing presentations and managing the Finance Committees’ meeting schedule.
- Perform all bookkeeping functions
- Negotiate annual benefit plan renewals
- Ensure that recruiting processes are consistent and streamlined.
- Establish and manage a comprehensive onboarding program to educate employees regarding staff tools, policies, and procedures.
- Manage relationship with 3rd party payroll vendor; process and reconcile semi-monthly payroll and post to the general ledger.
- Calculate and fund SIMPLE IRA plan.
- Oversee and perform administrative functions to ensure efficient and consistent operations.
The Team Member:
- Able to think independently, solve problems, organize tasks, and efficiently handle multiple responsibilities with little supervision.
- Well organized, detail oriented and committed to accuracy and completeness.
- “Team-over-self” personality; professional and positive attitude.
- High-energy team player with a passion for conservation
- Willingness to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
Desired Education, Experience and Skills
- Knowledge of and ability to follow Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and other guidance as necessary.
- Experience with the use of standard office software and specialized accounting software
- Ability to perform financial analysis and forecasting
- Strong communicator who can convey financial information to organization leaders, staff and stakeholders
- Bachelors degree in accounting or related field; CPA licensure a plus
Non-Discrimination: CLC and CTT are committed to equal opportunity in all aspects of their operations without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, creed, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or any non-relevant disability.