The following is the Carolina Thread Trail position statement regarding eminent domain:
- The Carolina Thread Trail is a private non-profit entity that has no governmental power, such as the ability to exercise eminent domain.
- Any decision to exercise eminent domain is at the discretion of the local community’s governing body. It is very seldom utilized for trails.
- We do not support the use of eminent domain for creating trails and greenways.
- Our planning guidelines encourage routing the Thread Trail across public land or rights of way or using land or rights of way acquired from willing landowners.
- The Thread Trail is planned, built and owned by local communities; participation is voluntary, and planning trail locations is collaborative and based on citizen input.
The Thread Trail is a long-term project that is built as opportunities of trail segments arise over time.
For questions, please contact our office at 704-376-2556.